The image of water is used often in the Bible, to illustrate the blessing that God bestows on us.
- A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.” (Song of Solomon 4:15
- |He| shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes” (Revelation 7:17)
- They have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters” (Jeremiah 17:13)
- “Living waters shall go out from Jerusalem. . . . And the Lord shall be king over all the earth” (Zechariah 14:8-9).
- The water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:14).
One of my favourite Gospel narrative is the woman at the well, where Jesus engages in a dialogue with water at the heart of the conversation.
However what about dirty, polluted water, or where countries have a scarcity of water? How do they hear these passages from scripture that describes water as clean and life giving ?
I am sure Jesus did not have a hip flask filled with clean fresh water, although he may have had a ‘skin’ to carry some water, we shall never know. However this we do know, that where people do not have access to clean water, disease, illness and possibly death occurs.
The water that God brings is a ‘Living water’… not the water from a tap, but one that comes from an eternal fountain found within the heart of God; and the guide to this fountain is the Holy Spirt.
God who is the fount of clean water
God who is the stream of righteousness
God who is the well that is deep and calming
Enable us to bathe in the Life giving water.